Saturday, January 9, 2010

Write in aftermath

Do you think there could be a genre called 'simple'? I was trying to list a bunch of different genres and they all implied a restriction on the story, sci-fi being the loosest of the main types. None of them are things that I particularly want to write. Do I start by saying, here is my romantic hero, here is my detective, here is my alien or time traveler and work from there? Is there not enough fleshy story in the realm of normal and/or simple? Sometimes I feel like no one else shares my love of small things.

Today may have been pretty useless as far as my development as a writer is concerned. I tried starting a piece of fanfic of DTB. I love that series, at first I thought it was very free but soon realized that there are gigantic character constraints. The Syndicate member is often the emotionless human connection to the truly emotionless contractors and he always has jobs for Li. Rin is a doll and Misaki is mediated by her duty as a policewoman and love of Li. The conflict of those two rarely shows through, she immediately neglects her duty as soon as he's near but she doesn't think about the two as contradictory. She actively seeks him out as part of her job and because she experiences that familiar sense of loneliness.

The nuance is what I'm aiming for.

No comments:

Post a Comment